Panjab University is gearing up for student elections for which the last date of nominations is 31st August. These elections are being held for the panel of Panjab University Campus Students Council on the main campus as well as in the Affiliated colleges of Panjab University. In the main campus President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Joint-Secretary and 114 Departmental Representatives (DRs) will be elected by the students.
Here are some Unknown facts about the PU-Elections
- Council president’s post was never headed by a girl in the history of Panjab University elections.
- PUCSC politics are dominated by male students only.
- UIET (University Institute for Engineering and Technology) always have the highest voters in University-Elections.
- UIET and Law Department gets less representation in PUCSC Election panels.
- Free trips, parties, free meals, free movie tickets were offered to fresher’s to attract the students.
Responsibilities of elected members are :
- Vehicle Free Campus.
- Safety of women.
- Reasonable University Fees.
- To maintain the good reputation of the university.
- Facilities for Foreign Students.
List of Student Unions :
- PUSU – Panjab University Student’s Union
- SOPU – Student’s Organisation of Panjab University
- SOI – Student’s Organisation of India
- SFS – Student’s for Society
- NSUI – National Student’s Union of India
- CYSS – Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti
- ABVP – Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad
- NSO – National Student Organisation
- HIMSU – Himachal Student’s Union
- SAP – Student Association of Punjab
- GGSU – Gandhi Group Student’s Union
- KCSU – Khalsa College Student Union
Some of these organisation gets funds and support from Central Political Parties.